The Thanksgiving Table

The holidays are a time of celebration, often including indulgent foods shared amongst family and friends. However, it’s important to remember what foods should
be kept out of your pet’s reach this holiday, and quite frankly, year-round. This article may seem familiar from previous years, and for good reason- it’s important
enough to repeat!

Fatty foods such as butter, bacon, meat drippings and gravy can cause significant gastrointestinal problems in pets. One such disease, known as pancreatitis, can cause severe dehydration and discomfort, potentially requiring hospitalization. Signs to watch out for include diarrhea, vomiting, belly pain and loss of appetite. Other left over items, like discarded turkey bones and corn cobs, have the possibility of causing an obstruction in the stomach or small bowel. This can lead to an emergency situation requiring surgery to remove the item before it leads to even more severe gastrointestinal damage and sickness.

Many people will often add garlic and onion to entrees and side dishes (I agree, they are delicious!); however, these ingredients can lead to fatal consequences resulting from red blood cell destruction. Other foods such as raisins and grapes have the potential to cause irreversible kidney failure, even when consumed in small

When it comes to the dessert table, there are several things to avoid sharing with our pets. Chocolate, depending on the type and amount ingested, can cause a range of symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizure activity and even heart problems. Artificial sweeteners, especially those containing xylitol, are extremely
dangerous for pets as well. Xylitol containing products including some peanut butters, mint flavoring and gums, all have the potential to cause low blood sugar and
liver damage when consumed, leading to death.

As you can see, there are many items that we may reward ourselves with through the holiday season, but it’s best that our pets are only fed their regular, well-balanced diet. If you have any question about an item your pet may have accidently ingested do not hesitate to contact your local veterinarian or ASPCA Poison Control for treatment recommendations.

The only AAHA accredited hospital in Cherokee county!

The only AAHA accredited hospital in Cherokee county!

Call Us Text Us
Skip to content